WELCOME TO THE MAPLE LEAF TIMES BLOG

A couple of articles are added each month with many more articles provided in the CAS's Maple Leaf Times (eMLT) magazine. To receive your eMLT magazine sent directly to your inbox (8 issues per year), become a member of the Canadian Association of Singapore. Visit the CAS website to register -- www.canadians.org.sg

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

William Chew: Q & A

1.   Which parts of Canada do/did you call home?

I grew up in the Toronto area, with Scarborough being my childhood stomping grounds and most of my extended family still live in and around TO.  I do have some family in Victoria and my sister in Vancouver.  My youngest son is currently is doing his final year (I hope) at Carleton.

2.  How long have you carried your 'ex-pat' title?
I moved to Singapore in 1992 as part of a ‘short term career assignment’, but 22 years later I’m still here! I lived a true ‘ex-pat existence’ during the first 3 years, with the apartment, car, club, home leave package, but ‘went local’ in 1995 when it became clear that I was going to stay indefinitely. I do not really consider myself to be an “ex-pat” any more, but I do not feel ‘local’ either since my accent and cultural value-system remain heavily Canadian.  

3.   Tell us your profession and what you do all day.
I am a Telecom professional-cum-serial entrepreneur - having started several infocom-based companies over my 30+year career.  I currently run a young (what else?) start-up company in Singapore called “myHealth Sentinel Pte Ltd”.  It is a ‘cloud-based’ Telehealth Service Provider, the first of its kind in the region.  Our mission is to empower caregivers (both medical and non-medical) with our simple-to-use telehealth service to remotely watch-over the health of their ageing parents and loved ones.

Our “TeleMetrix+” service can monitor, analyze uploaded vital signs such as blood pressure, blood glucose, heart rate, weight, temperature, activity, etc and alert caregivers when any abnormal conditions are detected.
As with any start-up, I’m involved in all aspects of the company’s activity e.g. Guiding the design of its features and functionality, meeting prospective customers, dreaming up marketing campaigns, managing staff and vendors, updating investors etc.

4. Two things that you would beg Singapore Customs to import from the GWN (Great White North)?

Only 2?!?! I would have to say: J. Peameal bacon, ‘real, fresh’ Montreal smoked-meat, “Swiss Chalet” restaurants, “Canadian Tire” stores….that’s all!


Learn more about this Canadian at: www.myhealthsentinel.com and www.TeleMetrix.com.sg

No comments:

Post a Comment