WELCOME TO THE MAPLE LEAF TIMES BLOG

A couple of articles are added each month with many more articles provided in the CAS's Maple Leaf Times (eMLT) magazine. To receive your eMLT magazine sent directly to your inbox (8 issues per year), become a member of the Canadian Association of Singapore. Visit the CAS website to register -- www.canadians.org.sg

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Interesting Canadian: James Hill

Text by David Griffith / Photography by Eu Lee


“What do you think about going to see a one-man ukulele concert next Tuesday?”I think that’s how my wife posed the question, to which I gave the obvious response. She followed with, “C’mon, he’s Canadian. Maybe you can write about it in the MLT”.  And that’s how I came to find myself sitting in the DBS Auditorium on August 17th awaiting the start of James Hill’s “ukulele...seriously” concert.

Now, I have a confession to make, I am a former ukulele player myself. The memories are almost completely purged, but the occasional flashback does occur and during these times I see myself sweating through unlearned chords while mumbling the words to “Skip to My Lou” in front of what appears to be a strangely enthusiastic audience of seniors (although back then I think we just called them “old folks”). Yes indeed, I am a product of Canada’s ukulele program, which, when it comes to the uke, is the only thing that I have in common with James Hill.

Back to Mr. James Hill, who I would soon find out is one of, if not the most talented ukulele player on the planet. I can’t begin to explain just how amazing the concert was.  Who would have imagined that after two hours of non-stop solo uke playing the entire audience, myself included, would be left wanting more?  But that’s exactly what happened as James Hill warmed the crowd with his easy-going engaging style and then left everyone in awe with his creativity and absurdly awesome technique and playing skills.

The crowd, which included a number of people involved with Singapore’s Ukulele Movement (see below), tapped their toes to an amazing variety of numbers that included original compositions, some Maritime and Bluegrass standards, and even some modern R&B and Techno.  You really have to see and hear James Hill’s music to believe the variety of sounds and styles he’s able to originate from that single little instrument.  Once you’re finished reading this feature, I highly recommend you Google “James Hill Billie Jean YouTube”,
I guarantee you will not be disappointed.  There certainly wasn’t any disappointment in the crowd that Tuesday night, which makes me think…perhaps I ought to listen to my wife a little more.


************************************************************


Harmonizing the “C” Scale with James Hill 10 Minutes With The World’s Foremost Master Of The Ukulele 

Interview conducted by Janey Schueller


Q: We loved hearing and seeing the many “Canadiana” references during your concert, everything from the song you wrote to remember skating on the Rideau Canal to the saying about “frozen boots” in Nova Scotia.  My personal favourite was the hockey tape you used during your techno piece.  Is hockey tape essential or would regular duct tape do the job?
A: Only hockey tape will do!  Duct tape would have a completely different sound for sure. 

Q: You are holding 3 learning workshops in Singapore during your visit and I understand that you teach quite a bit.  Have you ever told anyone that maybe the uke is not the right instrument for them?
A: Never.  Music is for everyone and the best thing about the ukulele is that it requires exploration and encourages creativity.  I often tell my students that there are more songs in a uke than in an iPod.  You just need to discover them.

Q: Why reside in Nova Scotia?  Why not a more famously uke-friendly place like Hawaii?
A: The ukulele program started in Nova Scotia and many of the subject workbooks were written there.  It is also the home of Chalmers Doane who founded the Canadian school ukulele program in 1967.  I am a product of his program and love it there.

Q: You have performed around the world.  What’s your favourite place that you have played?
A: Definitely my front porch.  It is quiet and private. 

Q: Why a ukulele player?  Why not a doctor, lawyer, or CEO of Canadian Tire?
A: Ha ha.  All I can say is I loved it and my parents saw I loved it and they encouraged me to play every step of the way.  I couldn’t have done it without their support.

Q: A brand new uke, fresh out of the box or an all-inclusive Bali vacation?  What would you pick?
A: Definitely Bali.  I have a lot of ukuleles and luckily I don’t have to pay for them. 

Q: How many do you own, and what’s the most expensive one in your collection?
A: About 12, between $3-4k.

Q: What’s next for James Hill?  Is there a movie in the works?
A: We actually released a documentary earlier this year, “The Mighty UKE” and I am also working on a new experimental album.

Q: Will you be doing this when you are 90?
A: Gee, I hope so!

************************************************************


No comments:

Post a Comment