WELCOME TO THE MAPLE LEAF TIMES BLOG

A couple of articles are added each month with many more articles provided in the CAS's Maple Leaf Times (eMLT) magazine. To receive your eMLT magazine sent directly to your inbox (8 issues per year), become a member of the Canadian Association of Singapore. Visit the CAS website to register -- www.canadians.org.sg

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Interesting Canadian: Madam Mary Broderick

A pillar in the Canadian Community here in Singapore, the ever gracious Madam Mary Broderick was kind enough to answer a few questions in this issue’s Interesting Canadian.

1. What were your thoughts when you first heard you were coming to Singapore, and what were some of the unexpected surprises once you arrived?

We first learned that we were coming to Singapore in the dead of a very bad Ottawa winter, so my first thought was that I would be free from shovelling snow for a few years!  Actually, we were thrilled to be assigned here as it had been at the top of our list of desired postings. We had read about the many wonderful things to do and see in Singapore and the region and knew that it would be the ideal place for our four girls and me to be introduced to Asia.  When we arrived, the thing that struck me first was how green and lush Singapore is, and the ride in from the airport past Marina Bay and the CBD was quite an eye-opener. Also, both David and I were very touched by how welcoming everybody - Canadian, Singaporean, and ex-pat alike - was.  I think one of the biggest surprises for us, though, was how busy we would be with various events most nights.

2. Do you find the challenges of raising 4 girls in Singapore any different to Canada? 

Well, given the ages of our four girls, I'd say the biggest challenge we face is keeping them away from the Orchard Road shopping district!  They love to find things that are a little different from what might be available in Ottawa and consequently are always trying to negotiate a raise in their allowance.  It was a little difficult in the beginning for me to feel comfortable with the girls taking taxis and public transit by themselves since I was used to driving them everywhere in Ottawa.  Other than that, the teenage challenges are much the same as anywhere - homework, curfew, computer time limits, etc.

3. So what's a typical day like in the life of Canada's First Lady of Singapore?

I’d have to say that there really is no such thing as a “typical” day for me.  Although I usually start my day by trying to get teenagers out the door in time for school or weekend activities (which is pretty typical of most families) after that, every day tends to be different. I try to get to as many of the Canadian Association daytime activities as I can (the coffee mornings, “Out and About”, etc.) as I really enjoy the informal camaraderie of being with other Canadians and discovering interesting places in Singapore that are “off the beaten track”.  I also attend a number of diplomatic spouses’ groups that meet on a regular basis (for example, a French-speaking group and a book club) as these are opportunities to get together with very interesting women (mostly) from around the world and to share about our cultures.  I take part in ongoing charity work on behalf of the Tabitha Foundation with some diplomatic friends and hope to be able to help out more in the coming year.  If we have an event at the Official Residence, I’m often involved with the menu planning and organizing and, as we tend to be out at events many nights each week, an ongoing challenge is to make sure that the homework situation is under control.

4. Besides being featured as the MLT's most interesting Canadian, what's been your most memorable or exciting moment during your stay here?

It's hard to pick just one moment.  When we first arrived, I had the honour of having tea with Mrs. Nathan while David presented his credentials to the President.  She was incredibly gracious and easy to talk to and made me feel immediately at ease. Last November, during the APEC meetings, I was very excited to have the opportunity to meet Prime Minister and Mrs. Harper and although both their schedules were incredibly full, I was able to have a really nice chat with Mrs. Harper during their stay.  Also during an APEC dinner event, I was introduced to US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, which was a real treat.

5. Have you managed to do much regional travel and do you have any favourite spots?

We try to travel as much as we can, but it is sometimes hard to get away because of David's work commitments.  We also have received strict instructions from our children who are living in Canada that many places are "off limits" without them!  That having been said, we have managed long weekend getaways to a number of really interesting places such as Brunei, Yogyakarta, Bangkok, KL, and Ho Chi Minh City and somewhat longer trips to Beijing and Japan.  Everywhere we have visited has been fantastic in its own way so it's hard to say what has been our favourite spot, and the longer we are here the longer our list of potential travel destinations becomes!  

 6. What do you miss most about being away from Canada, and how often do you manage to get back home?

Other than family, of course, I would have to say that the things I miss most about Canada are the seasons and the changing weather throughout the year.  Although I think I've adjusted somewhat to Singapore's heat and I'm assured that I will look years younger when I return to Canada because of the humidity, I do miss the cool, crisp days of the Fall and the beautiful colours of the Gatineau Hills every October.  I'm planning my first trip back to Canada at the end of August following the Youth Olympic Games to help our third daughter, Jocelyn, settle into her freshman year at Queen's.  We've been very lucky that many of our family and friends have been able to come to Singapore to visit us so that's made being away from Canada a little easier.

7. And finally, is there any truth to the rumour that David wears ermine robes around the house, and insists everyone calls him "Your Excellency"?

No comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment